Black Bottom Digital ArchiveHistorical MapHistorical FiguresHistorical SitesOral HistoriesAboutMenu

Brownson Elementary

Established in 1888, Maple Street’s Brownson Elementary was remembered fondly by figure-skater Linda Frances, who lived in the Black Bottom area as a child. It was located in an area once home to a handful of Syrian and Armenian immigrants by the early ‘20s, according to surveys conducted by the Detroit Educational Bulletin in 1920 and 1922. It was eventually demolished between 1961 and 1966.

Tags

View more historical sites